Climbing Coaching – Movement Skills
Great technique and efficient movement skills are the key to better climbing. Strength or flexibility are important tools to have, but if you don’t have these tools or dont know the most efficient way to use them, then your climbing will only progress so far.
I offer two different courses aimed at improving your climbing.
Movement skills 1
This course focuses on the essential skills needed for better climbing movement.
It is aimed at beginner climbers and covers the following:
- an appropriate warm up routine for climbing.
- what is centre of gravity and how do we use it.
- Fluid movement and weight transfer.
- Identifying the core movement skills used in climbing.
- Efficiency and economy of effort (Straight arms/use of momentum).
- Route reading.
- Good footwork skills.
- where to go from here?
Movement Skills 2
This course is aimed at existing climbers who wish to upgrade their movement skills and techniques. This course is not suitable for beginners or those new to climbing.
It covers the following:
- An appropriate warm up for a progressive climbing session.
- better route/problem reading.
- Identifying your weaknesses and how to improve on them.
- Refining core climbing techniques.
- Precise and exact footwork.
- Drills for improving technique.
- Correct use of training room facilities/hang-boards
- conditioning and antagonistic exercises for injury prevention.
- A periodical training plan and how to structure it for you.
Duration: – Movement Skills 1 course, 3 hours
Movement Skills 2 course, 3 hours
Location: The courses can be run at any indoor climbing wall. Please call to discuss which wall is most suitable for you.
Cost: €100 euro, divided equally per person
Pre-requisites: as per above.
Ratio of clients to instructor: no minimum, maximum of 4:1 for skills 1 course, maximum of 2:1 for skills 2 course
Climb It advises that climbing and hill walking are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement.