Would you know what to do if it all goes wrong on rock? How can we stop minor incidents developing into major accidents? What if our second cant follow us on a sea cliff or multi-pitch route?
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Having some knowledge of rescues and problem solving techniques can be as dangerous as having none.
Whats covered on the Self Rescue for Climbers?
The course will be tailored specifically to suit the participants previous climbing experience and requirements. Among the main skills that can be covered or reinforced are:
- Ascending and descending a fixed rope using prussiks
- tie-ing off the belay plate
- problem solving – solving small issues, to prevent them becoming bigger accidents
- assisted and unassisted hoists
- escaping the system
- beefing up Anchors for rescues
- The forces and effects of rescues and hoists on the anchor
- “picking up” an injured climber by abseil
- abseiling past a knot or core-shot rope
- multi-pitch or sea-cliff rescues
- rescuing the lead climber
- traverse rescues
If there is a rescue method not listed above that you would like to practice under supervision or receive instruction on, please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss providing training for same.
What do you need to bring?
You can bring your own climbing gear if you wish, or I can provide all equipment on the day. You should bring your own food, snacks and water as required.
Where does the course run?
Rescue training can be run indoors in a climbing wall or outdoors at a real crag. I am based in The Burren, Co Clare, but sometimes run courses in Dublin, Wicklow and Kerry.
Duration: This depends on your previous experience and what you wish to learn. However most rescue courses would be run over 1 day.
Location: I am based in The Burren, Co Clare, but sometimes run courses in Dublin, Wicklow and Kerry.
Private 1:1 €160
2:1 €90 per person
3:1 €70 per person
4:1 €60 per person
Pre-requisites: previous climbing experience essential
Ratio: No minimum, max 4:1 ratio. Please call if you have a larger group and we can discuss options.