The Mountaineering 1 Day Workshop is perfect for those looking to make their first steps on steeper mountains.
While it would be impossible to learn, consolidate and become competent at all the skills needed for mountaineering in 1 day, this course will give you a solid foundation with which to start your journey in the Mountains.
The skills needed to become a self sufficient mountaineer are many. Not only are technical skills needed but also decision making skills. While I can provide you with the training, you will only become fluent with these skills by putting them into practice yourself.
What will you learn on the MOUNTAINEERING 1 DAY COURSE?
A sample of the skills that we will look at are as follows:
- efficient movement skills – climbing graded terrain in big boots
- route finding and decision making in scrambling terrain
- moving together, short roping or pitching – when to use which technique?
- belaying and safeguarding others
- ropework, knots and gear placements
- appropriate equipment
Where does the course take place?
The course normally runs in The Burren, where we can take advantage of the short walk ins and easy access to rocky terrain to maximise our time spent learning technical skills.
What do you need to bring?
You will need to bring the appropriate gear for a day in the outdoors. Hiking or mountaineering boots and plenty of layers and spare clothing. A good pair of gloves are essential.
I will provide all the technical gear: ropes, helmets, harnesses etc. But feel free to bring your own equipment if you have it.
Duration: 1 day
Location: The Burren (or various locations around Ireland)
Pre-requisites: To get the most out of any mountaineering course or guided scramble, you should have a good level of fitness.
€150 per person
– Private 1:1 bookings available, enquire for cost
– No minimum number required for the course to run, Max ratio 4 per course